Tuesday 7 February 2012

A Lovely Crisp Day

Well, for a change it seems that we are having the best of the weather up here. Whilst our friends in England-shire are battling with snow, we have a heavy frost each morning followed by clear blue skies and sunshine. And to prove I'm not making this uop, here is the view from the potting shed this morning

So today was a non starter for doing more weeding or digging as the ground was frozen yet again, so I started the day by pruning back a climbing rose that is partially obscured by the Garrya tree by the summerhouse. Then I pruned all the pear trees along the wall of the fruit bed - this entailed not only pruning from ground level but then using my pole pruners and finally climbing a ladder up onto the top of the wall and inching my way along it, pruning as I went - I should add that the top of the wall is not flat - that would be too easy, no it has a slope of anywhere from 45 to 60 degrees and as the sun doesn't hit the sloped surface at this time of year, it was as slipery as a slippy snake from Slippy Town.
Anyway, job done!
Then I checked on the greenhouse -all the perennials bar two rudbeckia seem to be in fine health. I cleared away any rubbish and pulled out two perennial spinsch plants that had gone over - the chard still looks to be producing though.....

I then barrowd some FYM from the ther end of the garden and spread it on the larger of the greenhouse beds - this will be incorporated in due course....
Had a quick chat with Sally about growing sweet peas on the cordon system for this year and also about the forthcoming purchase of a 4 stroke Mantis - apparently there are two 4 stroke versions so the company are senfing up some bumph on the two versions available.
Then it was back to a general tidy up, clearing leaves and cutting back the various clumps of Hypericum.
The bulbs are increasing in number weekly and I'm looking forward to a good show starting next month.
I hope to get a rough plan done this week and will post it as soon as I get a chance.
That's about it for this week. After I left, I went to see another walled garden I am starting at on Friday coming, that is in the same or worse state than this garden was - see my other blog for pictures of this
to be posted over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment