So today was a non starter for doing more weeding or digging as the ground was frozen yet again, so I started the day by pruning back a climbing rose that is partially obscured by the Garrya tree by the summerhouse. Then I pruned all the pear trees along the wall of the fruit bed - this entailed not only pruning from ground level but then using my pole pruners and finally climbing a ladder up onto the top of the wall and inching my way along it, pruning as I went - I should add that the top of the wall is not flat - that would be too easy, no it has a slope of anywhere from 45 to 60 degrees and as the sun doesn't hit the sloped surface at this time of year, it was as slipery as a slippy snake from Slippy Town.
Anyway, job done!
Then I checked on the greenhouse -all the perennials bar two rudbeckia seem to be in fine health. I cleared away any rubbish and pulled out two perennial spinsch plants that had gone over - the chard still looks to be producing though.....
I then barrowd some FYM from the ther end of the garden and spread it on the larger of the greenhouse beds - this will be incorporated in due course....
Then it was back to a general tidy up, clearing leaves and cutting back the various clumps of Hypericum.
The bulbs are increasing in number weekly and I'm looking forward to a good show starting next month.
I hope to get a rough plan done this week and will post it as soon as I get a chance.
That's about it for this week. After I left, I went to see another walled garden I am starting at on Friday coming, that is in the same or worse state than this garden was - see my other blog for pictures of this
to be posted over the weekend.