Tuesday 28 August 2012

End of August

I know I missed last weeks instalment but I have been pretty busy with other stuff, but I'm back now.
So what's new in the garden - the dahlias have started to produce their first flowers and have a profusion of buds so I am expecting a good display this year, espacially from the plants we raised from cuttings as they are looking really healthy - they must love the old rose bed with all that FYM incorporated into the soil.


 
The Sweet Peas continue to flourish too - both on the border wigwams and an the cordon system - the last couple of weeks I have managed to fill a flower bucket for Sally for the house.
 
 
In the greenhouse, I have fiurther denuded the tomatoes of foliage as time is marching on and we have only one tomato trying it's very best to ripen, The onions are drying out nicely and should soon be ready to string up a la Onion Johnny. I finished pricking out the first tray of Canterbury Bells today whilst we had a short burst of rain - two trays to go and we already have 146 in modules - no excuses for empty gaps in the borders next year. The salad leaves continue to provide a plentiful supply as does the Perpetual Spinach.
Outside in the veg plot, I picked a 3litre pot of peas today - there is a huge crop of the ever dependable Hurst Greenshaft -an excellent garden pea, and I even picked 4 runner beans which had got the jump on the rest. Add in the carrots and ytatties and that was todays harvest.
 
Other than that I started to weed the top border  - managed 3/4 of it, will finish it next week then start on the other border. So what's new in the borders - other than the dahlias above. First off is Verbena Hastata "Blue Spires"
 

and then we have Echinacea purpurea...................

 
The Heleniums, which have been poor doers since being planted, have finally decided that they really should get a shift on (maybe they overheard me talking about them taking a trip to the compost heap)
 


And although looking pretty scruffy this year, the Achillea are flowering like good 'uns...

 
And one of my fave plants - the Eryngium or Sea Holly.....
 
 

The raspberries continue to crop well for their first year in the ground - as do the strawberries. However, I don't think we'll get tp eat many strawbs as the mice have found them first and have nibbled away any ripe or near ripe berries.
That's it for now - I am staging an exhibit of 12 Sweet Peas (Mixed Varieties) on behalf of Sally at Alnes Hortucultural Society's Autumn Show this Saturday, so watch this space to see how we get on - and pray that Friday is nice, warm, sunny and dead calm, so that we have plenty of nice clean stems to choose from.
And finally............. here is a pic of the border as of today



 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment